Region: United States and Canada
Viva Hammer is a partner in Crowell & Moring LLP, a Washington, D.C. law firm, and a Research Associate at the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute of Brandeis University. She founded the Wedding Resource Center at Lincoln Square Synagogue, whose purpose is to encourage the use of Marriage Protection Agreements (pre-nuptial agreements) to pre-empt the Agunah problem. Viva has addressed audiences throughout the world, including at Limmud in England, at the Florence Melton Mini-School in Australia, and at JCC's, synagogues and conferences throughout the U.S. Her writing has appeared in both the general and Jewish press, including in The Washingtonian, The Forward, Lilith Magazine, Jewish Action, as well as in literary reviews and anthologies. Viva lives with her family in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- The Blessing on Blossoming Trees: Tracing a Journey From the Gemara to Present Day Halacha -- using the blessing on blossoming trees as an example, this speech traces the development of Jewish law from the gemara to its practical application today.
- Making a Meaningful Bat Mitzvah: Getting Beyond the Party to a Celebration that Teaches Values for Life.
- Homeschooling: Fringe Movement or Viable Alternative in Jewish Education?
- Blessed With Children: Why have Orthodox Family Sizes Have Grown in Modern Times While Other Families have Shrunk?
- Blood Rhythms: Sex in an Orthodox Marriage
Click here to request this speaker.