JOFA UnConference: Spotlight on Ritual Pioneers and Innovation
Sunday, November 23, 2014
UJA-Federation of New York, 130 East 59th Street, New York, NY 10022
Over the past year, Orthodox women have engaged with ritual in confident and innovative ways, including reclaiming mikvah, wearing tefillin, training to become mashgichot in Israel, tying tzitzit, and reciting Kaddish in public. JOFA’s UnConference will shine a spotlight on these pioneers and innovations. Sessions will explore the role of authenticity in innovation, the process of creating new rituals, strategies for adapting traditionally male rituals so they are appropriate for women, and the ways in which communal leaders implement changes in their communities without alienating members. This event will include lectures, interactive workshops, text-based shiurim, unstructured conversations and networking opportunities.
Questions? Email email@example.com
For information about potential organizational partnerships, or to sponsor a session, email firstname.lastname@example.org
This event is presented in partnership with UJA-Federation of New York.
There will be ASL interpretation at this event.
Schedule at a Glance (subject to change)
8:00AM-9:00 AM: Rosh Chodesh Shacharit (Women’s Tefillah and Partnership Minyan options)
Registration and Light Breakfast
9:30AM-10:40AM: UnPlenary: Personal Stories and Innovation 101
10:50AM-11:50PM: Conversion, Rabbinic Authority, and Power Imbalance in Orthodoxy
12:00PM-1:15PM: Lunch/Ritual Fair/Networking
1:20PM-2:10PM: Afternoon Session #1: Choose from multiple lectures and workshops
2:20PM-3:10PM: Afternoon Session #2: Choose from multiple lectures and workshops
3:20PM-4:00PM: Open Mic Session: Rituals from the Audience
4:00 PM-4:30 PM: Mincha
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register for the JOFA UnConference?
Click here to complete the online registration form for the JOFA UnConference.
What are the registration options? What is included in each option?
- General admission is $65.00. A limited number of student tickets are available for $45.00.
- Sponsorships of $180 and above include 1 general admissions ticket and will be recognized at the UnConference.
- For sponsorships over $180 please register through JOFA's online donation form and indicate "UnConference sponsorship" in the Gift Designation line.
- All registrations include admission, breakfast, and lunch.
Is my registration fee refundable?
No. Unfortunately, registration fees are non-refundable.
When does online registration close?
Online registration closes on Wednesday, November 19.
Where is the JOFA UnConference taking place?
The JOFA UnConference will take place at UJA-Federation of New York, 130 East 59th Street (between Park and Lexington Avenues), New York, NY 10022.
How do I get to UJA-Federation of New York?
The nearest subways are: 4,5,6 at 59th Street, or N,Q,R at Lexington Avenue-59th Street. Use hopstop.com for more detailed directions via public transportation. Parking garages are available on 58th street between Park and Lexington Avenues.
What prayer options are available?
- For Shacharit, a partnership minyan and women's tefillah will be available on-site.
- For Mincha, a traditional minyan will be available on site.
- A Traditional Shacharit minyan will NOT be avaliable on site. If you are looking for a traditional Shacharit minyan nearby, we recommend Lincoln Square Synagogue's Shacharit at 7:00 am at 180 Amsterdam Ave. Please confirm the time and location with Lincoln Square by calling (212) 874-6100 or visiting www.lss.org.
Are men welcome at the JOFA UnConference?
Yes! The event is co-ed, and men are invited and encouraged to attend.
What about kids?
The UnConference content is suitable for mature high school students. Anyone younger than that will not find the content very suitable. Unfortunately we will not be able to offer childcare on premises due to space limitations.