"A Cry from the Soul: Women and Hilkhot Shofar"
by Alissa Thomas-Newborn
In the News
"Shofar workshop eyes women’s role." by Johanna Ginsberg
New Jersey Jewish News
Personal Reflections from the JOFA Blog
"The Shofar is Calling, Will You Answer?" by Pam Greenwood
"Pack Lunch, Hear Shofar, Drive Carpool" by Alexandra Dunietz
"From Flute to Shofar, Finding Spirit in the Sound" by Michelle Friedman
Put it into action!
JOFA suggests a few practical steps that you can take to make women blowing shofar a more common sight in the Orthodox community.
- 1. Spread the skill! Gather friends and family of all ages for your own DIY shofar blowing workshop.
- Engage your Gabbaim about organizing a later shofar blowing on Rosh Hashanah for women and girls who missed the earlier one.
- Arrange for women to visit home-bound women and blow shofar for them on Rosh Hashanah.
- Organize a tefillah group to meet during Chodesh Elul where women can blow shofar after Shacharit.
- Add shofar blowing as an optional skill for Bat/Bar Mitzvah students in your community.